Redeemer Seminary Academic Policies


If you already have an account created by the Registrar, you may log in below in the role of “Student”.

Redeemer Seminary is introducing a new online registration and academic management system.
To register for courses please follow the instructions below. If you need help, email or call the Registrar during business hours at 214-528-8600.
Prior to enrolling in courses, students should seek the counsel of the Registrar or President regarding the best plan for course enrollment to complete a degree program.
Students must already be admitted to Redeemer Seminary in order to use the online enrollment system. To apply, click Admissions. After admission, students will receive an email invitation to enroll online.
If you have already received the email invitation, read the instructions below and then click
Student Online Enrollment Instructions

Forms for Student Submission to Registrar

Independent Study
Transfer Credit
Waiver of Prerequisite
Change of Degree Program
Church Leader Audit
Registration Information

Registration is contingent upon receipt of a transcript showing completion of any prerequisite degree. Registration dates are stated in the academic calendar. No student is permitted to register for any course after the first ten days of the semester.

A late registration fee will be charged in the event that a student fails to register at the time designated for that purpose.

Each student is responsible for meeting his or her degree requirements, though the Registrar and faculty advisers will provide information and help.

The student is required to inform the Registrar of any changes in course registration, at the earliest possible opportunity. Students are to inform the Seminary of any change of address.

The privilege of adding or dropping courses is granted within a grace period each term. This period is between the third and tenth day after the beginning of each semester, and between the third and fifth day of the summer and winter terms. If a course is less than one month in length, an appropriate comparable time for dropping the course will be set.

After the grace period a student is not permitted to register for any course and may drop a course only with the written permission of the instructor and the Registrar, provided that it is no later than the tenth week of the fall or spring semester or the second week of the summer or winter term. The effective date for the dropping of a course is the date on which approval is gained from the Registrar. Withdrawal under any other circumstances will result in a failing grade in the course.

A fee is charged for each course change made after registration.

It is expected that each student will attend every class session for which he or she is registered. Absences caused by illness, or other justifiable causes, will be permitted to a limited extent. If, in the judgment of the instructor, these permitted absences, or other (unauthorized) absences, endanger the standing of the student in the course, the instructor shall counsel the student concerning the situation. Further absences will normally result in a failing grade in the course.

A student enrolled in an M.Div., M.A.R., M.A., or Certificate program who is interested in changing from one program to another should speak to the Director of Admissions.

Academic Standing

A, B, C, and D are passing grades; F is a failing grade. The general standing for the year of every regular student is ascertained by the use of a grade point system. Grade points are assigned to grades as noted on the chart below. A student’s general standing is the result of the total number of grade points earned, divided by the total number of semester hours taken.

The faculty has adopted a four-point grading system with 12 levels as follows:


A 4.0
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.0
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.0
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.0
D- .67
F 0

In addition to the student meeting due dates and using correct English, the following table will serve as general criteria for grade levels for the M.Div., M.A.R., and M.A. programs. Final grades for each course are awarded at the discretion of the member of faculty responsible for that course.




An outstanding and thoughtful piece of work which shows evidence of reading and research beyond that which was assigned. The student has shown mastery of the subject and offers new insights which are well-supported by cogent and profound arguments.


A standard, good piece of work which fulfills the assignment and shows a good grasp of the basic principles. There is substantial evidence of ability to analyze and utilize course content.


This work is satisfactory but is lacking in a significant area and does not show a grasp of some basic principles.


There are serious problems with this work, though it is still passable. It represents a poor performance in comprehending the course content and only meets the minimal standard of the professor.


This work is unacceptable and fails to meet the requirements of the assignment.

The grade for a course in which the work is reported as Incomplete must become a final grade within three months from the close of the semester or term in which the work should have been completed. It is then included in the grade point average. Incompletes that are not completed within 3 months are converted to an F grade.

When a student fails a course, the F is recorded and becomes a part of the semester and the cumulative grade point averages. If the course is a required course, the student must repeat the course and obtain a passing grade. The higher grade will then replace the F in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.

Students whose cumulative academic average at the completion of 24 semester hours in the M.Div., M.A.R., or M.A. program is 1.75 or lower are not permitted to continue in the institution. However, if the faculty considers it probable that, in the future, the student will be able to make satisfactory progress, it may readmit him or her to the institution, upon petition, and grant whatever credit for work completed it deems appropriate. To be eligible to graduate, students in these programs must have a cumulative academic average of 1.80 or higher. Requests for a transcript should be in writing from the student to the Registrar’s Office, accompanied by the appropriate fee. Transcript Request Forms are available from the receptionist or on the Redeemer website ( Altering a record is an act of fraud.

Academic Probation

The following provisions describe academic probation for the M.Div., M.A.R., M.A., and Certificate programs:

1. A student with a GPA of 1.75 or lower, after completion of his or her first semester (including at least two courses taken and with less than 24 hours completed), will be on academic probation. A student placed on probation must raise his or her GPA by the semester that he or she meets or exceeds 24 hours of course work in an official program or be withdrawn from his or her program.

2. A student whose cumulative GPA is between 1.76 and 1.80 after the completion of 24 credit hours will be on academic probation. The student is required to raise his or her GPA to 1.80 or above to be approved to graduate.

3. A student on academic probation will be required to meet with the Dean of Students before the beginning of the following semester or withdrawal will result.

4. A student on academic probation will be required to take a reduced course load.

Final Examinations

Final examinations are given during an announced period at the conclusion of each academic term. In all M.Div., M.A.R., and M.A. courses in which theses, reports on assigned readings, or other special assignments are required, either in place of or in addition to a final examination, these theses and reports must be handed in on or before the date set by the professor in charge, which date shall not be later than the last day of classes for the term.

Any student who requests to take a final examination at a time different from the published schedule, but within the examination period, must complete a request form ten days prior to the beginning of the examination period. Request forms are available from the Machen receptionist and require the approval of both the professor and the Dean of Students. The Academic Affairs Office will process the requests. The student must take the examination at the time approved; the time limit stated on the examination paper must be observed.

An Incomplete must be requested for an examination to be taken after the end of the examination period.

Incomplete Requests (Extension for Completion of Course Requirements)

If extenuating circumstances (unusual and unavoidable circumstances which hinder completion of assigned work) prohibit the student from completing a course on time, a grade of Incomplete may be given. To receive a grade of Incomplete, a student must 1) obtain an Incomplete form from the Registrar’s Office, 2) secure written approval on the form from the professor, and 3) return the form to the Registrar who will seek the appropriate faculty committee approval. Petition for the Incomplete must be made by November 30 for the fall semester and by April 30 for the spring semester. At the professor’s discretion the grade will or will not be reduced. If approval is granted, the work must be completed within four weeks from the close of examinations; otherwise a grade of Inc/F will be received. No Incompletes will be granted for graduating students for classes taken in the spring semester of their last year.

Leave of Absence

Any student who encounters unusual career or family circumstances that cause interruption in participation in his or her program may write to request one leave of absence, for a period up to three years. The letter should specify the reasons for the request and the amount of extra time desired. This letter should reach the Registrar two months before the student’s next registration. If the leave of absence is approved, the student does not pay fees or use faculty, staff, or Redeemer facilities during the leave.

A student who is a member of a military reserve unit and whose studies are interrupted by a call to active duty must inform the Registrar of his or her call to active duty and the duration of the call. The student shall then be granted a leave of absence from his or her academic program. A student who returns to his or her academic program within one year of his or her release from active duty shall be reinstated and allowed to repeat, without charge, those courses in which he or she was enrolled when called to active duty, provided he or she enrolls in those courses the first time the courses are offered after his or her return. A student who fails to return within one year of his or her release from active duty shall be administratively withdrawn

The student will notify the Registrar of any change of address while on leave and will confirm by letter to the Registrar, one month before the expiration date of the leave, that he or she will resume the program.

Adding and/or Dropping Courses

Once a student has registered for a semester or term, if he or she wants to add or drop a course(s), he or she should complete and file an Add/Drop form with the Registrar’s Office. There is a charge per course. The Last Day to Add and the Last Day to Drop are listed in the Academic Calendar.

Students who drop a course(s) after the last day to add will be assigned a W (Withdrawn from course) grade on their transcript record.

Students who drop a course(s) after the last day to drop will be assigned an F grade for the course(s).

If a student drops all of his or her courses for any semester, he or she will be withdrawn from the Seminary. Exceptions will apply if approved by the Registrar’s Office. A student may apply for reinstatement if he or she desires to return to the Seminary at a later time.

Refunds for dropped courses (or withdrawal from the Seminary) on or after the first day of the semester will result in a partial tuition refund to the student. The refund amount will correspond to the percentage of the enrollment period that remains in the semester or term in which the course(s) is being dropped.

Course Prerequisites

Certain courses have prerequisites that are required to be completed in order for a student to register for those courses. Other courses require that the prerequisites be taken concurrently. All prerequisites are listed in the Course Description section under the individual courses. With compelling reason, students may request a waiver of these prerequisites. All requests must be approved by the faculty member who teaches the course. Forms are available through the Registrar’s Office. Waiver approvals should be acquired prior to a student’s registration.


A student planning to withdraw from the Seminary, whether during the academic term or at its close, should report that fact to the Registrar in writing. A student is withdrawn if he or she does not enroll in any semester of the academic year or if he or she drops all of his or her classes during the progress of any semester. A student will be withdrawn administratively if he or she has a grade point average too low to continue, has a bill outstanding, or has violated the honor system.

A student who withdraws from the Seminary following the final date to drop a course (see the Academic Calendar), will receive a grade of F for each course not completed.

Should such a student desire to return to the Seminary, he or she should submit a written request to the Registrar, stating desired date of entrance and program and enclosing the fee. If a student has been withdrawn for longer than four years, has not been in a degree program, or wishes to change to a program other than the one of his or her previous enrollment, he or she should send a new application form and fee to the Director of Admissions.

A student readmitted will be subject to all program requirements, as well as all financial and academic policies current at the time of return, and will pay the same tuition as new students entering that program at the same time.

Students’ Rights of Privacy and Access to Records

Redeemer accords to all students all the rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended. The policy is available in the Registrar’s Office, and is summarized below. In addition, announcements concerning this are distributed to students at each registration.

General information, which the Seminary may give out at its discretion, includes the student’s name, spouse’s name, address, telephone number, program and year of study, dates of attendance, degree(s) awarded, most recent school attended, citizenship, and church affiliation. If a student wishes any of this information withheld, he or she may write to the Registrar within two weeks after the first day of classes for the fall or spring semester and the request will be honored during the academic year in which the letter was received. A student may authorize release of certain additional information by writing to the Registrar.

Other information from the student’s educational record is confidential and available only for appropriate use by faculty, administrative officers, and personnel in the offices of the Registrar, Director of Admissions, and Dean of Students, as well as by persons from accrediting agencies, persons with a judicial order, and persons requesting information in an emergency to protect the health or safety of students or others. Under FERPA, these persons are permitted access to particular information as needed.

By writing a request to the Registrar, a student may review his or her record to the extent provided by FERPA. Redeemer is not required to permit students to inspect confidential letters and recommendations received prior to January 1, 1975. If a student has signed a waiver, information from a recommendation is not available to him or her. Application materials, once submitted, become the property of Redeemer. Under no circumstances will a student be permitted to copy or have returned to him or her any recommendation.

Transcripts received from other schools will not be returned to a student.

Knowledge of the English Bible

A thorough knowledge of the English Bible is expected of all recipients of the M.Div., M.A.R., and M.A. degrees at Redeemer. Every student entering the Seminary should do so with as comprehensive a knowledge of the English Bible as possible. Each student is required to pass either an English Bible examination or the course PT 013P English Bible Survey. The English Bible examination must be passed no later than the end of the winter term examination period of the year in which a student expects to graduate. If a student finishes coursework during the fall semester or winter term, the exam must be passed by the September of his or her last fall semester.

At the beginning of each semester and at two other times during each academic year (see the academic calendar for exact dates), an examination will be administered to test the student’s knowledge of the English Bible. The maximum number of times a student may take this examination is three. If the examination is failed three times, the student will be required to take the course PT 013P. This course is offered annually during the second semester and meets for two hours each week. The tuition charge for the course is one-half the normal hourly tuition rate. No auditing of the course is permitted.

Theological Writing Standards

The ability to produce quality written work in English is expected of all Redeemer degree recipients. Mid-career students and students from a non-liberal arts background find it helpful to review English rhetoric and grammar, and strengthen their research and citation skills. International students with extensive English language training, as well as those with advanced degrees in other professional fields, find it advantageous to learn the expectations of American academic writing; to study the special features of theological genres; and to receive feedback on their linguistic accuracy. Redeemer is committed to helping students improve their writing through the Advanced Theological Writing course (PT 031P/033P).

All non-native English speakers must take Advanced Theological Writing (PT 031P/033P), unless their TOEFL and TWE score is higher than 630 (267 computer, 111iBT) and 5.5 respectively. Faculty members may also require a student to enroll in Advanced Theological Writing (PT 031P/033P). The Registrar will be notified by the faculty member if a student is required to take the course.

Transfer of Credit

An official determination of transfer credit will be considered after the student has been accepted into a degree program at Redeemer. After a student registers, requests for transfer credit should be reviewed with the Registrar’s Office. Approval for transfers must be secured from faculty department heads.

The transfer credit granted will reduce accordingly the number of hours required at Redeemer. If the student has not received a Master’s degree from another institution, to obtain an M.Div. degree the student must take at least 40 credit hours of study at Redeemer. The Greek, Hebrew, English Bible Survey, and Advanced Theological Writing courses may not be included in these 40 credit hours.

Ordinarily, the Seminary may accept up to one-half of credits earned for a first theological degree awarded by another institution toward a degree at Redeemer, not to exceed one-half of the credits required for the degree at Redeemer. In the case of the M.Div. program, at least 46 credit hours of study at Redeemer will be required and at least 28 credit hours for the M.A.R. or M.A. program. In all the cases cited above, the credits required at Redeemer will normally include the final 24 hours of study.

Only courses in which a grade of C- or above was received will be considered for transfer credit to an M.Div., M.A.R., or M.A. degree program. Only courses in which a grade of B or above was received will be considered for transfer credit to a Th.M. or Ph.D. degree program.

Upon approval by the Registrar, credit earned for course work completed at The Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation is transferable to the M.Div., M.A.R., or M.A. programs. Normally, up to two courses may be transferred without tuition payment. Students may request approval for two additional courses to be transferred. Full Redeemer tuition is required for these additional courses. No more than four courses will be taken as transfer credit. For any coursework to be considered for transfer from CCEF, the courses must be completed (including having been graded) prior to beginning any coursework at Redeemer.


A limited number of auditors are permitted in most courses. Persons desiring to audit are required to secure the permission of the Registrar, complete the necessary registration, and pay a non-refundable fee for each course audited. Class attendance is subject to the approval of the instructor.

Persons desiring to audit an unlimited number of classes for a week are required to secure the permission of the Registrar, complete the necessary registration, and pay a non-refundable fee. This special fee does not apply to modular, short-term (less than one-month) courses. No auditing of D.Min. modules is permitted.

Full-time students and their spouses, full-time members of the faculty and staff and their spouses and children, and part-time employees may audit courses without charge. All others pay one-half the tuition rate they would be charged to take a course for credit. Students who have previously earned a Redeemer degree pay one-fourth the tuition they would be charged to take a course for credit. If the course is at or below the level of the degree they received from Redeemer, there is no charge to audit. For this purpose, the Ph.D. and Th.M. degrees are considered as on an equal level. An M.A. degree is considered as a lower degree than the M.Div. and M.A.R. degrees. A Certificate is not considered a degree program. The spouses of full-time students are permitted to audit only up to the number of credit hours for which the spouse is currently enrolled. Persons desiring to audit should complete the necessary registration forms with the Registrar’s Office.

Auditing privileges include regular class attendance, copies of all printed material distributed to the class, the opportunity to ask occasional questions in class, and full library privileges. Normally, auditors will not be permitted to participate in classroom exercises or recitations or to make seminar presentations, nor will assignments or examinations be reviewed or graded by the instructor.

Occasional visitors must seek permission of the instructor for each class they wish to attend and will not have the privilege of participation in class discussion.

The Church Leader Audit offers an opportunity for people in positions of church leadership to audit courses. Redeemer offers one free course audit per semester for those in official ministry positions in the church. This is available for four people per church per semester. An Application Form from the auditor and a Letter of Recommendation from the sending church is required. Eligible courses are from the M.A., M.A.R. and M.Div. degree programs of study only. All language classes are excluded for audit. Please be sure to apply as early as possible so classes may be planned for space availability; some courses may be closed due to high enrollment. See the Redeemer website ( or contact the Admissions Office for further information and application forms.

Independent Study Courses

Qualified students may make arrangements with available faculty to do research courses on subjects of interest and value. These courses will be conducted by means of assigned reading, a thesis, conferences with the professor, and, at the option of the professor, an examination. Such courses may be pursued only by students who are also registered for class work, unless they have previously attained in this institution a general academic standing of 2.80 or better. No more than 25 percent of credit hours for any of the M.Div. (23 hours), M.A.R. (14 hours), or M.A. (14 hours) programs may be taken by independent study courses. Distance Learning courses offered through the Institute of Theological Studies are included in the independent study courses.

Taking independent study courses for required courses in the curriculum is discouraged, and may only be taken with the approval of the faculty member who normally teaches the course and of the Committee of Three.

If it is necessary to drop an independent study course, the normal tuition refund schedule will apply.

Holy Land Studies

The Seminary is associated with the Jerusalem University College ( Students who participate in this program may receive academic credit upon approval by the Registrar, in consultation with the relevant department coordinator, and scholarship aid may be granted to help defray the costs of such participation. Information concerning Holy Land studies may be secured from the Director of the Program for Holy Land Studies.

Students in the programs indicated below may complete part of their program at the Jerusalem University College (JUC) as indicated:

1. Elective course work for the M.Div. or the M.A.R. program(s) may be selected from among approved Master’s-level courses at JUC. A student may request transfer of up to 18 elective hours based on the student’s program.

2. Up to one-third (two courses) of the course work for either the Th.M. in Old Testament or the Th.M. in New Testament may be selected from among approved Master’s-level courses at JUC.

3. Up to one-third (five courses) of the course work for the Ph.D. in Hermeneutics and Biblical Interpretation may be selected from approved Master’s-level courses at JUC. Normally, students will need to complete additional work in each of the Master’s courses taken at JUC in order for those courses to count in Redeemer’s Ph.D. program. Arrangements for this additional work should be made in advance through the coordinator of the Ph.D. Field Committee at Redeemer and in consultation with the appropriate faculty member at JUC.

4. Any academic work completed by a Redeemer student at JUC will be regarded as transfer work when it is applied to the student’s program at Redeemer.

5. Redeemer students who, under provisions (1), (2), and (3) above, take any work at JUC ordinarily will be expected to participate in an approved Reformed ministry in Israel.

Distance Learning and CCEF

Redeemer offers a limited number of courses by Distance Learning using audio recordings and the Internet. Courses may be applied towards the degree programs or towards the Certificate in Christian Studies. As with independent study courses, students who are applying earned credits towards a degree program may complete up to 25 percent of the required semester hours by Distance Learning.

Students taking distance education courses intended to fulfill required core courses should first obtain written permission from the Faculty via petition to the Registrar.

Distance Education courses administered through The Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation are eligible for Redeemer credit while a student is taking courses at Redeemer. CCEF’s Distance Education courses may be permitted for transfer to Redeemer (see Transfer of Credit for the policy on transferring courses from CCEF). Coursework may completed before matriculation to Redeemer or while a student of Redeemer.

CCEF course materials should be ordered through the Registrar’s Office. Materials will be ordered approximately three weeks prior to the semester that course is taken. The last day to register for a distance learning course is determined by the schedule published on the CCEF website. If it is necessary to drop the course, the tuition refund schedule of CCEF will apply.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Full-Time Students In general, the maximum amount of time allowed for full-time students to complete a degree program is 150 percent of the published program length. The numbers along the upper border of the table represent the number of semesters a student has been in the stated program. Underneath are listed the semester hour, courses, modules, and other requirements that must have been completed by that point for the student to be considered as having made satisfactory academic progress.

Part-Time Students For students who enroll for at least one semester at part-time status, the maximum program length becomes dynamic and is extended according to the number of part-time semesters. For each semester that a student enrolls on a part-time basis, that student’s maximum length is increased by one semester.

Satisfactory Academic Progress